Welcome     Recipes      My Story

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Alcohol free vanilla extract


No sugar, no alcohol, DIY vanilla! I buy glycerine vanilla, and it is pricy, but I've always felt it was worth it. It adds such divinity to food, especially sugar free foods, and I don't have to wonder if I am intoxicating my children if I am not cooking the alcohol out..  The cheapest I have seen alcohol free vanilla is $9.79 for 4 ounces, that's $2.50 an ounce. 16 ounces of glycerine found here (for skin, but IS food grade) is currently $7 for 16 ounces, and vanilla beans can be found here for  $8.95 for 7 beans.  That is $1 an ounce! you can probably find beans cheaper than that.  I paid 44 cents an ounce because I already had the beans and recycled an olive oil jar.  Next time you make the vanilla you can reuse the same beans.  And you can use your alcohol vanilla as perfume!

Alcohol free vanilla extract
16 ounces glycerine
7 vanilla beans
17+ounce glass jar

Slice vanilla bean pod in half length wise and width wise. Place in jar. Fill jar with glycerine.  Store in a cool, dark place for 6 weeks. Vanilla is now ready to be used. When glycerine level is low enough to expose vanilla beans, refill jar with more glycerine you could probably let it stew another 6 weeks before using for best potency.






No comments:

Post a Comment