Welcome     Recipes      My Story

Friday, May 3, 2013

Put your labors where your love is

Thanks to everyone who made Back 2 Basics such a success last night!  It was nice to get together with such a great group who loves good, healthy eating.  I was really motivated by Lourdes, Dana, and Alicia and all they had to say, and I had a great time talking about our sugarfree home!  We didn't have a lot of time for discussion, so I would love to hear your additional ideas, comments and questions in the comments here.  There was a lot of skill and expertise there last night that I would have loved to glean more from you!

Last night I really emphasized that food needs to be a labor of love.  A special food needs to be baked when you have time and the emotional desire to make something special!  So, it's pretty funny that I got home after last night, tasted my cheesecake, and realized that you really could taste that I didn't put the labor of love into it that it really needed.  It was good...but not the divinity my original post touts it to be.  But I will talk about it, because it perfectly illustrates my point. 

I'll be honest: it was my worst cheesecake ever!  How embarrassing!  It is supposed to be sweeter and much smoother and the crust was crispy...which is unusual.  :)  I have lots of hypotheses as to why this is, but it really comes down to the fact that I threw it together between dinner and bedtime while my husband was out of town.  I had fun making it, but it wasn't that anniversary-baking-feeling I have that really says "I am making something really special for someone I really love."  I guess I just don't love you as much as I love my husband.  :) Which is why I usually just bring my bread and honeybutter to public events.  It takes 30 minutes of my time, it's affordable, but it still takes a good amount of attention and love and skill.  I guess it's just right for a potluck! And next time I will bring honeybutter with my bread instead of cheesecake.

I will be sharing some additional ideas about how to prioritize our food efforts.  A few practical approaches really help us save time while we are eating well, so stay tuned for those.

And, by the way, the cheesecake was yummier today, as those flavors developed and the texture was smoother, so I guess I really must plan to bake my cheesecake at least 3 days before it will be served.

Be sure to share any ideas or questions we didn't get to last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment