Welcome     Recipes      My Story

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Whole Wheat Bread

This bread is central to our sugarfree home, our staff of life!  As long as we have bread in the house, there is something yummy and satisfying to eat.  The dough is very versatile and makes a great pizza crust, cinnamon roll, scone, or bagel.  The batch makes 4-5 loaves.  I usually do 4 large and one small loaf.  I store it wrapped in a towel in the cupboard if I will be eating it within three days.  It usually takes about a week before it starts to mold, but will of course dry out and have that "day old" taste.  A towel keeps it from dying out, but the crust stays fresher than when stored in a plastic bag.  I use plastic bread bags if I will be freezing it.  This bread does freeze well.  If storing for longer than two weeks, I would use a freezer bag.  The dough also freezes well and is nice to have on hand for a last minute pizza or scone meal.

Whole Wheat Bread

5 cups hot water
2/3 C honey
1 C cooked oatmeal
10-12 C freshly ground white wheat, use 1/2 white flour if using red wheat
2 T salt
2 T instant or rapid rise yeast

Knead 5 minutes, if you have a Bosch, a little more with any other mixer. Let rise till doubled, form into 5 loaves and let rise till doubled again. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment