Welcome     Recipes      My Story

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Coconut Pie with Carmel Syrup

My husband took me to the Bonefish Grill in Destin, FL. While we were there, he ordered a coconut pie. I have been making coconut pie for several months now, but this had a sauce that reminded me of  sweetened condensed milk, like the kind served over flan. My children did some fabulous service for me, pleading for coconut pie when I asked them for requests for a reward. I was happy to grant that, as coconut pie is "as easy as pie," but, really, easier. What is easy about pie? Eating it! We happened to have this variation of a buttermilk syrup in the fridge that my daughter made last time she made pancakes (she is a gifted homemaker), and it was the perfect combination. Here is the recipe!

Easy Coconut Pie

2 C milk             
1/3-1/2 C honey             
 4 eggs          
1/2 C flour        
1 tablespoon vanilla                
1/2 teaspoon salt 
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil


Blend the above in a blender for 10 seconds. Scrape the sides and blend for another 10 seconds. Add 1 C shredded coconut (I use unsweetened I ordered for amazon) and blend for another 10 seconds. Pour into greased pie pan and bake at 350 for 50 minutes. This pie makes its own pie crust as it cooks!  Drizzle with Carmel Syrup
Carmel Syrup 
(This makes a lot of syrup, as in it has lasted our family a month, using it on many breakfasts and desserts)

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups honey
3/4 cup buttermilk (you can culture your own by filling a quart jar with milk and about 1/2 a cup or so of buttermilk...just leave a half cup each time to keep up your culture start)
1 teaspoon baking soda

Stir all ingredients together, and boil for seven minutes.







No comments:

Post a Comment