Welcome     Recipes      My Story

Monday, June 23, 2014

Seek ye out of the best books

Last week I read one of my favorite talks to my children. It is Your Refined Heavenly Home by Douglas Callister. I enjoy the way he illustrates how the very best culture and education the world has to offer has a touch of the divine in it. I keep mulling over the phrase that Pres. McKay was quoted, naming great authors the minor prophets.

I was touched to see the impression it made on my oldest daughter, as she asked for a copy of it. She loves education, and I think opened her eyes to the why of many of the ways of our home. She is very naturally drawn to ennobling thoughts, and I believe she was able to appreciate how this quality in herself is part of her divine makeup.

This is another part of our home that is "sugarfree." While we encourage our children to read every good book, I have worked really hard to build up a library with only the very best books. Since the quantity of books in our house is limited, and there is no other entertainment readily supplied here, this nearly ensures that our kids read a great majority of the books I feel are most inspired! I feel like a book belongs on our shelves if (and only if) it can be read over and over again, each time learning something new. It also needs what I would call a touch of the godly in it. It need to uplift, and also to inspire them to follow Christ. There are a lot of great books out there that should be read. Why waste time with less than the best? Even a few minutes a day with the most civilized minds in history brings out the civilized in everyone, including and perhaps especially mom!

Today I was reading The Journal of John Woolman. He was one of the early advocates of emancipation in the Americas, but this lesson applies to all. He wrote, "All the faithful are not called to the public ministry; but whoever are, are called to minister of that which they have tasted and handled spiritually." My children will be more prepared to minister to more people in more varied circumstances as they spiritually handle the highest and greatest of every discipline, as the best books will multiply their experiences. I am so gratefully for the ennobling books that have come into my life and my home, and the lessons they have and will teach my children!

No comments:

Post a Comment