Welcome     Recipes      My Story

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

New York Cheesecake

When my husband I were married, we had cheesecake at our wedding dinner.  I didn't much care for cheesecake at the time, but I soon found out that it was his ultimate definition of yumminess.  So, for the last 12 years I have slaved long hours over an oven and cream cheese.  Not until it was perfected to his tastes with processed sugar dared I venture into the world of sugar free, but I have done it!  My husband considers this recipe my masterpiece, and he will even brag that it tastes better sweetened with maple syrup than sugar (I hope so!).  While I still don't care for a Sam's Club Cheesecake, this cheesecake....is heaven on a fork!

 I didn't say this recipe was healthy.  I just said it doesn't have sugar in it.  :)  But this will not cause your sugar cravings to return, and when your body has had enough, it will not be prevented from telling you so! You will feel satisfied.  Your tongue might want more, but it will be much easier to respect what your body is telling you.  It is also made with whole wheat!  An organic raw cream cheese and this would be a guilt free food to me!  Last time I calculated, it cost about $16 to make, probably $20 by now, and is a definite splurge.  But when the occasion warrants, it is worth every penny!  

This recipe doesn't take a whole lot of actual labor time, but needs to be planned out well in advance.  When I am really at the head of my game, I plan at least three days before.  That way I can pull my ingredients out in the morning to let them reach room temperature.  Then I find a good chunk of time to cook it in the day--planning for that two hours it sits in the oven (while I can't cook anything else in it!), so it won't fall.  Then I let it chill.  Overnight is a minimum.  It continues to season and develop those luscious maple undertones and beautiful texture for another day or two...or more!  With cheesecake, you want a nice smooth batter, but without too many air bubbles, or it will crack. You may want to smooch  around your cream cheese separately and add your eggs after the cream cheese and maple syrup have combined.  A cracked cheesecake tastes just as good, it's just not as pretty! 



New York Cheesecake

Crust:

3/4 cups whole white wheat flour

3 T honey

¼ C pecans, finely chopped

1/4 cup butter, softened



Filling:

2 1/2 pounds cream cheese, softened (totally room temperature)

1 ½ cups pure maple syrup, best quality you can afford

3 tablespoons whole white wheat flour

5 eggs

2 egg yolks

1 T vanilla

1/4 cup heavy whipping cream



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 10 inch springform pan with spray oil.  Combine crust ingredients, spread in pan, prick all over with fork.  Bake crust for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow to cool.  Increase oven temperature to 475. In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients except whipping cream and mix just until there are no lumps.  Add whipping cream and mix only enough to blend. Pour filling over crust and bake for 10 minutes at 475 degrees. Reduce temperature to 200 degrees and continue to bake for one hour. Turn oven off, but leave cake in for another two hours.  Remove from oven and chill overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment