Welcome     Recipes      My Story

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Two cake alternatives and Pumpkin Pie with a Pecan Shortbread Crust

I love this recipe blog, the Nourishing Gourmet!  She follows Nourishing Traditions practices, but is also dairy free and keeps a budget!  Of course I have adapted many of these recipes, but since I don't have permission, I will just link to them.

We have actually used this Sweet Souffleed Omelet for birthday cake in a pinch (in the middle of a move)...but it isn't really that pretty, just that yummy!  We have made this often.
http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/07/5-dish-sweet-souffleed-omelets.html

This brownie pudding cake is one of my favs and no eggs! It's like a volcano, but lighter.  I use almond milk (I've tried just water and it's a little to light in flavor) for the cake and use the lemon juice, not the cider, if you don't use buttermilk or sour milk.  For the pudding part,  I didn't want quite a dark chocolate flavor, so I use only 2 tablespoons of cacoa or cocoa, and use 1/3 cup maple syrup instead of the honey.  I also add a tablespoon of vanilla.  Yummy topped with pecans. It needs an overnight soak, and some thickening time, so plan accordingly.


For my pumpkin pie, I use the Libby's Pumpkin Pie Recipe, but directly substitute the sugar for honey.  I also leave out the cloves, add vanilla (of course!), and use my pecan shortbread crust!

Pecan Shortbread Crust:

1 1/2 cups whole white wheat flour

4 T pecans, finely chopped
4 T water (room temperature, add more if needed for consistency)

1/2 cup butter, softened







No comments:

Post a Comment